Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Breakfast of champions

Growing your food is immensely satisfying, but even with 100 sqm of garden producing vegetables, herbs and fruit trees, I need to buy oats to make my daily porridge fix.

Breakfast is a definite must before I cycle the 25 km or so to work. And it must stick to my ribs, so as I have found to my peddling cost, simple toast and jam / Vegemite won't get me to work on time.

Nor just black coffee, damn it.

So I rely on something that will last the distance.
Kenny's damn fine home-made muesli

Kenny, a cool eatery expert and all-round gourmet dude has just posted on his excellent food blog, Consider the Sauce, a brilliant guide to making his own muesli. Affordable, tasty and healthy, it looks like ticking all the boxes.

While I make my own porridge (fill a bowl ¾ full, add enough milk to wet it without leaving a puddle, about 2 tblsp then add two chopped up apples from my trees or cherries or peaches when they were in season, sprinkle on some nutmeg or cinnamon, microwave for 3 minutes and voila! )

If you make too much just give it to your chooks.
What?
You don’t have hens?
Tsk.
There’s always the compost heap…

No comments:

Post a Comment