Friday, March 9, 2012

Vale Philly

Philly in the foregorund, looking for a tasty cricket.

This morning I buried Philly.
She was really Philly II, her predecessor was named after Australia’s first world champion surfer, Phillyis O’Donnell winner of the 1964 Women’s World Surfing title.
Poor little hen, she had been looking very  tired the past few weeks, so when I found her lifeless body, still warm, in the chook shack this morning, I felt sad but relived she was out of pain,
But as a friend reminded me, since she had been rescued from one of those horrible caged chicken farms a couple of years ago, she has led a pretty good free-range life.
Her galpals Ledger and Layne were pretty distressed, clucking as I removed her.
She is now buried between compost bins two and three, with a pumpkin seedling planted om her mound.
But after work tonight I went by a chook supplier my great girlfriend Madeleine recommended and bought four point of lay Rhode Island Reds.
Now I hope Layne and Ledger are far too busy dealing with the invasion of Philly III, Gidget III, Laura and Hilda to mourn their little mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment