Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chicken or the egg?

Ledger checking out the bug situation.

Now the new hens have settled in, I’m keenly waiting them to get to that point-of-lay time when they do start to put out the cackleberries.

Hilda, Laura, Gidget III and Philly III are sleeping in the hutch, rather than the perched on the ladder in the run and there's less squawking going on, so it seems they are all calming down.

Of course, Autumn means some will start to moult and perhaps go off the lay – but I’m hoping not the new girls.

If Layne and Ledger could get back in the saddle and start producing some eggs again - even one every couple of days - I’d be so stoked as I need them make my weekend blueberry pancakes!

Meanwhile, when I locked the gals in the hutch tonight I noticed Layne is looking decidedly peaky and Ledger is cuddled up with her in the straw, rather than on the perch she prefers.

So tomorrow I'm make them up some porridge as a treat - Layne does like her oats.

1 comment:

  1. So ... what do you talk to your chooks about? Are they good listeners?

    ReplyDelete