The small rituals of baking are very soothing; warming the oven, beating the sugar and butter in a small bowl, adding the fresh eggs from Gidget and the girls then transferring the mixture to a larger bowl.
Sifting in the flour and cocoa alternatively with the milk, then using the spatula to ensure every ingredient is evenly combines.
Pouring the mixture int a well greased and baking-paper line tin or individual patty pans.
Then when they come out of the oven the whole kitchen smells like home.
Thank goodness for Fridays!
Most of these will come into work with me for my colleagues to enjoy for morning tea.
Here's the recipe
Alison's chocolate butter cakes
3/4 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup of mil
2 cups sifted SR flour
1/2 cup sifted cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180
- Prepare greased cake tin or put patty tins in tray
- Cream butter and sugar in small bowl
- Add eggs
- Transfer mixture to large bowl
- Add flour and cocoa alternatively with milk - you may need to add a little more milk
- Pour into tins / pans
- Bake for 15-25 minutes depending on your oven
- when cakes spring back to you touch they are ready