This recipe freezes really well so I often make up a huge batch and freeze single-serves for those times when you feel tired, cross and cold and need an internal hug.
To die for pea and ham soup
1 ham bone (hock's don't cut it, so chat up your local butcher for the real deal)
1 packet split dried peas
3 litres water
handful of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
Couple of grinds of fresh ground pepper
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped,
3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Put everything in a heavy-based pot and simmer for at least one hour.
- Remove ham bone and any meat which has fallen off and (wearing disposable gloves), remove fatty bits and gently chop or tear apart the meat.
- Discard hambone - give to the dog or chooks to enjoy.
- Remove bay leaf and remains of thyme.
- Place the liquid mixture in a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Place meat and liquid back in the pot and gently stir.
- Serve with rye or sourdough bread toasted with oil or garlic or both.