Thursday, October 4, 2012

Ahoy Summer!

I know it sounds nuts with all the rain we have enjoyed in Victoria over the past few months, but the weather guys are predicting a long hot dry summer so it's a good time to go back to the 2011 November issue of Gardening Australia, where Josh Byrne talked about how important to spend time now preparing your garden for the season's challenges.

So I'm now about to go out with the Bombora, my trusty old station wagon, and buy some straw to step up the mulching.

It's also a great time to turn over your garden beds and plant summer veggie seeds.

Last Sunday I had a fine old time rotating the garden beds and planting beans, peas, broccoli, rocket and pas choy. Yum! Also planting marigolds and nasteriums to encourage the bees.

Now all I have to do is keep the gals out of the beds, so i think a trip to the tip to reclaim some chicken wire is on the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment