Friday, August 23, 2013

DIGGING IN

A NEW garden is a heaven of possibilities.

Now I've moved from my established fruit and vegetable patch to a garden which consists mostly of level lawn, a few old sheds, massive eucalyptus and a rose bush in need of a good prune, it's time get out the secateurs, space and garden fork.

The first thing to do so I can sort out wat i want to grow where is to look at the soil and drainage.

Jan Juc was chock-full of clay, whereas my new abode in Geelong seems to have a really nice friable dark brown soil.

Bliss.

It took seven compost bins in high rotation to combat the clay so I reckon I'll be right with three.


But just to be sure, I've been noting during the recent rains just where the water is draining to.

As usual Peter Cundall is on top of this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment