Monday, October 21, 2013

Chicken bamboo

CHOOKS love bamboo - digging it up that is.
 
Gidget poses on a barrow load of bamboo roots surveying her kingdom

On the weekend I spent hours with a spade and mattock, attacking the roots of the vile bamboo some short-sighted person planted willy-nilly in the rear of the backyard.

It's as tenacious as all get out.

But if I want to plant climbing roses and fruit trees then I have to eradicate it.

So the chooks were fenced in to help me tear up the lawn and get the wretched stuff out. While they diced with injury a few times getting in the way of the spade, they also enjoyed a bounty of grubs and worms.

After eight or nine hours I'm about a third of the way through. Thank heavens it's now the working week so i have a few days to recover before the next attack session.

No comments:

Post a Comment