Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pruning time

THIS weekend I aim to finish pruning my fruit trees.

So I'll spend an hour or so giving the secateurs and saw a good clean, oil and then sharpen.

There's something very satisfying about reducing a triffid to a few sticks which you know will burst forth in greenery in spring and by summer be adorned with apples and peaches.

My chooks like to cluster under my feet as they vie for insects falling off the branches.

The lemon tree has grown a bit since this images taken so I'll be
getting rid of the busy branches crowding up the middle
to allow air flow and sunshine in...

As usual the delightful Sir Peter Cundall has some very useful tips to share.

Remember to toss all the cuttings into the green waste bin instead of the compost bin in case of pests or disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment